Bow Outfall reconstruction

 Shannon LeClair    

Times Reporter  
 
The Town of Strathmore received funding from the Alberta government through the Disaster Recovery Program. It will be used to rebuild the Bow Tertiary Outfall, which was damaged in last year’s flood.
“That is where our treated effluent from the Waste Water Treatment Plant is put into the Bow River,” said Bryce Mackan, project coordinator for the Town of Strathmore. “We applied for the Disaster Recovery Program and were awarded $600,000 for this project from the province.” 
The engineering portion of the contract, approximately $63,000, was awarded to AECOM, who had done the previous relocation for this outfall in 2011. 
The construction tender closed on July 22. 
Of the three quotes given, AECOM recommended that the contract be awarded to Trevcon, which was the same construction company who did work on the outfall a couple of years ago. 
The outfall will basically be replaced in the same manner as the original one, with riprap put into place to protect it, which should delay any severe damage. 
“The construction of the outfall will be similar, with slight changes to some abridgement along the outside, to help prevent damage if flooding occurs again,” said Mackan. 
The decision to replace the outfall with only minor changes was made at a provincial level. 
“We were frustrated when they first designed it and put it into the river like that. We felt there were better ways and cheaper ways to do it and we were told we had to do it that way,” said Chief Administrative Officer Dwight Stanford. “Even now again we wish we could do it where it wouldn’t possibly be destroyed again, but we had to follow the procedure and do it the same way again basically.” 
Council awarded the contract to Trevcon in the amount of $510,140 plus GST.