Strathmore Rural and Carseland Fire update
Slow but sure progress is taking place for the Strathmore Rural and Carseland Firefighters, in light of recent developments that left them without an operating contract with Wheatland County.
The first good news was the Standard Rural Fire Association had ratified the interim agreement with Wheatland County Council to provide fire service in the Strathmore Rural and Carseland Fire Fighting Response Areas. Then on April 10, the county posted that they had recently appointed interim Deputy Fire Chiefs for both halls.
“I am pleased to advise that the Standard Rural Fire Fighting Association in conjunction with Wheatland County and the Strathmore and Carseland Fire Chief have appointed Mr. Mike Jakubiszyn as interim Deputy Fire Chief for the Strathmore Rural Fire Department, and Mr. Ryan Hauswirth as interim Deputy Fire Chief for the Carseland Fire Department,” said Wheatland County Chief Administrative Officer Alan Parkin.
The Deputy Fire Chief oversees crews in the hall under direction from the Fire Chief. Strathmore Rural Fire Department currently has 20 members, and Carseland Fire Department 13 members.
From January to March of this year, the call statistics show the two halls do about 47 per cent of the calls in the county, with the other fire services splitting the remaining 53 per cent.
At a Wheatland County council meeting Parkin advised council that administration was reviewing some of the options for the long-term operation of the Strathmore Rural and Carseland Fire Fighting Response Areas, and a full report with options will be coming to council sometime in May.